Impact Challenge - Business with Purpose
Are you a young talent with an idea that can solve one of the biggest challenges of our time? Or are you a startup with a business model that contributes to achieving one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Then submit your contribution now and join the movement to turn sustainability into big business!
You can join the challenge if you are either:
- A startup (with a Danish CVR number) or
- A 'Young Talent' (under 35 years without a Danish CVR number)
Impact Challenge is launched on the 12th of November at the opening of Global Entrepreneurship Week Denmark 2018.
Participate in the challenge by applying no later than December 3rd at 12:00 (noon). Follow the instructions below.
Apply before December 3rd at 12:00 (noon).
All participants are invited to a pitch workshop. More information will follow directly to the participants.
The six finalists are announced here on challenges.dk
At the pitch event we will see the six finalists pitch and find two winners - one in each category.
How to join
1. Sign up on challenges.dk and click 'Submit Idea' at the top of this page.
2. In the 'Title' box: indicate whether you are applying as a 'startup' or a 'young talent'. E.g. 'Title: World's Best Idea (Startup)'. If you are participating in the 'startup' category, you must have a Danish CVR number. You can register for a CVR number here.
3. In the 'Image' box: upload a picture that illustrates your solution, your team, company logo etc.
4. In the 'Summary' box: briefly describe your idea or business model (max 200 characters).
5. In the 'Description' box: describe your idea or business model according to the four criterions (see below), and indicate which SDGs your idea or business model adresses. Read more about the SDGs here. You can also add links to videos, pictures, websites etc.
6. In the 'Files' box: attach a pitchdeck of your idea or business model (mandatory). Your pitch should be based on the four criterions and uploaded in PowerPoint or PDF (max 8 slides). The pitchdeck must stand alone and provide a good understanding of your business model or idea. Think of the presentation as the first draft of the pitch you might give at the pitch event.
The four criterions
We will evaluate your contribution according to four criterions:
Innovative: Your idea or business model must be innovative compared to existing products or services on the market.
Feasible: It must be feasible that your idea or business model can be realized commercially.
Impact: Your idea must have an impact that can be tied directly to one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Scalable: Your idea or business model must have scaling potential.
Don't forget to address all four criterions in the description of your idea or business model.
Your idea or business model will be evaluated based on how well thought out it is and the extent to which it meets the four criterions. It is thus important that your description is thorough yet to the point, and clearly addresses the four criterions.
Please note that all material must be submitted digitally on challenges.dk and that all submitted material must be accessible.
Pitch & Win!
The six finalists (three in each category) will have the chance of pitching their idea in front of a professional jury and an audience live at the final event. All participants will receive an invitation to the event.
The final pitch event takes place December 14th at 9.00 - 12.00 at Google.
All participants will be invited to a pitch-workshop, which takes place December 6th at Google. Read more and sign up here.
- Thorkil Sonne, founder of Specialisterne and Chairman of the Council for Social Responsibility & Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Malou Aamund, Director, Google Denmark
- Flemming Besenbacher, Chairman of the Board, UNLEASH, and Vice Chairman, the Innovation Fund
- Søren Stig, Chairman, Nordic Impact Investing Network (NIIN) and member of the Disruption Task Force
- Christian Motzfeldt, Director, the Danish Growth Fund
- Stine Kirstein Junge, Head of Private Sector, UNDP Nordic
- Sara Krüger Falk, Director, UN Global Compact Denmark
- Pelle Pedersen, advisor and impact investor
- Richard Georg Engström, Founder, IMPACT X
- Jesper Højberg, Vice Chairman, DanBAN Danish Business Angels
Stine Kirstein Junge
Sara Krüger Falk
Richard Georg Engstrøm
Better Business, Better World
Startups and young talents have the mindset, agile approach and innovative way of thinking that is crucial in solving some of the biggest challenges of our time.
On January 1st 2016, the United Nation presented 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to the world. 193 countries are committed to contributing to the fulfillment of the SDGs by 2030, thus paving the way for a more sustainable and social development.
In the SDGs lie great potentials for turning world wide challenges into business opportunities. It is estimated that the SDGs represent business opportunities amounting to more than $12 billion. Phew!
For these reasons - and in lieu of Global Entrepreneurship Week - the Danish Business Authority and the Danish Entrepreneurship Association have decided to launch this challenge targeted startups and young people working with the SDGs. We hope to pay tribute to ideas and business models that promote and contribute to a more sustainable and social development.