Skip to main content

VIA INO21 Challenge 3: Prevent Pollution From Channels Into Oceans

To participate in this challenge it is required that you are a student at VIA University College Engineering and take part in the Innovation weeks in week 5 and 6.

A lot of litter ends up in our oceans and through the channel in Aarhus, it contributes directly to increasing the amounts of litter in the world's oceans.

Production of plastic has exploded in the last 50 years - from 15 million tons in 1964 to 348 million in 2017. If the production continues at this speed, it will be doubled in less than 20 years.

Studies show that every year, 8 million tons of litter are emmitted into the world's oceans. This equals one truckload of litter being emptied into the oceans - per minute! This has fatal consequences and both Danish and international studies show that plastic particles can be found in drinking water, salt, honey, beer and in many animal stomachs.

More than 90% of seaturtles confuse plasticbags for jellyfish and you can find microplastic in fish and seabirds. Plastic pollution is becoming a bigger and bigger threat for humanity and our nature- and marine environment.

Plastic pollution ends up in the oceans through various routes. UN's environment programme and environment organisation, UNEP, estimates in a report from 2016 that, on a global scale, 80% of litter ending up in oceans comes from landbased activities. This includes dump sites, industry, unprocessed waste water and tourism. The remaining 20% comes from activities on water such as fishing, container transport, ferries and cruiseships as well as the offshore industry (oil and gas platforms).

How can a city like Aarhus avoid litter ending up in the channel and thereby the ocean? Or how can we be better at collecting what ends up in the channel so it does not go into the ocean? 

Prize
-
Ideas
20
Category
Sustainable Development Goals
Create group

Create your group room

Upload initial presentation of solution

Upload of your first description

Upload pitch video for evaluation and written description

Upload your first video

Upload final video and other relevant materials

Final upload of all material

VIA University College
Aarhus Kommune

Comments

Ideas for this challenge (20)

We have revised explanation of our idea and the video presentation as well. The explanation is uploaded as a word file and for the presentation, we provide a link to youtube.

https://youtu.be/QRh8wpcnZM4

For at imødekomme udfordringen med øgede mængder skrald i Aarhus å, og forhåbentlig mindske problemet, er vi kommet frem til et koncept i form af en ny type skraldespand. Her vil vi introducere InnoBin, skraldespanden der forhindrer skrald der flyder på gader, stræder og i åer. Skraldespanden vil først og fremmest have et låg, hvorved dette forhindrer skralden i at flyve ud samt udelukke at måger stjæler skraldet.

For at imødekomme udfordringen med øgede mængder skrald i Aarhus å, og forhåbentlig mindske problemet, er vi kommet frem til et koncept i form af en ny type skraldespand. Her vil vi introducere InnoBin, skraldespanden der forhindrer skrald der flyder på gader, stræder og i åer. Skraldespanden vil først og fremmest have et låg, hvorved dette forhindrer skralden i at flyve ud samt udelukke at måger stjæler skraldet.

Prevent pollution from channels into oceans by executing on a idea that our team has come up with.

Link to our video resumé :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8Bc1Y7Ak0&feature=youtu.be

HydroBot is an autonomous robot designed to collect the floating debris found in the channels of highly populated cities. Our purpose is to prevent the plastic waste from entering the oceans and therefore, stop it from decaying into microplastic, which is more troublesome to clean up once it gets to the bottom of the waterbody. The Hydrobot is designed to float half submerged under water, trash entering from the front of the robot and then being transported to the back hatch by the waterflow where the waste will be collected by the net located behind the robot.

We are nine Engineer students in Materials Science and Product Design and this is our 2021 Innovation Week product.

Anabella Tzatzanas
Ema Habara
Geraldo Mihut
Louise Gylstorff
Nanna Christensen
Naxire Dieu
Maria Rahbek
Nina Gudmundsson
Sanne Rytter

"Ren Hygge Aarhus" har et mål om at sammensætte to elementer i Aarhus; hygge og renlighed.
Ekstra synlige og mere brugervenlige affaldshåndteringsmuligheder samt kampagne om "skraldemanerer" skal skabe en fælles medborgerlighed og solidaritet.

En skraldespand der er designet til at mindske skrald i nattelivet. Den skaber blikfang vha. et lys.
Tiltaget skal modvirke skrald i Århus Å
Video:
https://youtu.be/eYtjxjtEYjA